DISTRACTED DRIVING IN OREGON
• “Distracted Driving” is a dangerous behavior for drivers, passengers, and non-occupants alike. Distraction is a specific type of inattention that occurs when drivers divert their attention from the driving task to focus on some other activity instead (per NHTSA).
• From 2015-2019 There were 23,783 crashes resulting in 158 fatalities and 23,403 injuries caused by crashes involving a distracted driver in Oregon (all ages).
• 2015-2019 There were 1,920 fatal and injury crashes involving a driver (all ages) reported to have been using a cell phone at the time of the crash: 20 fatalities and 1,880 people injured.
• 2015-2019 There were 151 crashes involving a driver age 16-18 reported to have been using a cell phone at the time of the crash: 0 fatalities and 191 people injured.
• 2015-2019 There were 64,083 convictions for this offense.
Convictions for using a mobile electronic device 2015-2019
2015 – 15,264
2016 – 10,317
2017 – 8,748
2018 – 13,086
2019 – 16,668
Total – 64,083
• 2015-2019 There were 44 crashes involving, but not limited to a Pedestrian, using a cell phone: 4 fatalities and 40 injuries.
• 2015-2019 There were 9 crashes involving, but not limited to a Pedal-cyclist, using a cell phone: 0 fatalities and 9 people injured.
What is distracted driving?
Distraction occurs when a driver voluntarily diverts attention to something not related to driving that uses the driver’s eyes, ears, or hands. There are four types of driver distraction:
• Visual — looking at something other than the road
• Auditory — hearing something not related to driving
• Manual — manipulating something other than the wheel
• Cognitive — thinking about something other than driving
Most distractions involve more than one of these types, with both a sensory — eyes, ears, or touch — and a mental component.
Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in
Posted By Gorge Connect via Hood River Police Department.
#gorgeconnect, #thedalles, #mosier, #hoodriver, #cascadelocks, #corbett, #stevensonwa, #whitesalmonwa, #bingenwa, #washougalwa, #lylewa, #dallesportwa