Christmas tree permits for the Mt. Hood National Forest are now available to purchase at local vendors and online through Recreation.gov. Purchase a permit, download cutting area maps, and find tree cutting tips at: https://tinyurl.com/mthoodtreepermit. Permits are $5 per tree with a limit of 5 permits per household. Recreation.gov charges an additional $2.50 service fee per order.
Finding and cutting a Christmas tree is a long-standing tradition and a way to spend time with family and friends on national forest lands. When following regulations and guidelines, Christmas tree cutting can also improve forest health in dense stands of small-diameter trees.
Tree cutting is prohibited along Highways 26, 35, & 216; in Wilderness; in the Bull Run Watershed and The Dalles Watershed; fire closure areas; Camp Baldwin; and other areas closed to public entry.
Forest offices remain closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, Christmas tree permits are available in person for $5 at the following local businesses:
- Tygh Valley General Store, 57715 Tygh Valley Road, Tygh Valley, OR. 541-483-2324
- Kramers Market, 121 Main Street, Dufur, OR. 541-467-2455
- Wamic Market and Supply, 57016 Wamic Market Rd., Wamic, OR. 541-544-2333
- Hood River Tum-A-Lum Lumber, 408 Hwy 35, Hood River, OR. 541-386-1001
- The Dalles Tum-A-Lum Lumber, 240 Terminal Ave, The Dalles, OR. 541-296-5414
- Estacada Tackle Shop, 210 SE Hwy 224, Estacada, OR. 503-630-7424
- Estacada True Value Hardware: 310 SE Main St, Estacada, OR. 503-630-3769
- Sandy ACE Heritage Hardware, 39181 Pioneer Boulevard, Sandy, OR. 503-668-8731
- Hoodland Thriftway, 68280 Hwy 26, Welches, OR. 503-622-3244
- Welches Mountain Building Supply, 67250 Hwy 26, Welches, OR. 503-622-3000
- Mt. Hood Village Market, 73265 Hwy 26, Rhododendron, OR. 503-622-4652
- Sportsman’s Warehouse, 9401 SE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR. 503-777-8700
- Zigzag Ranger District, 70220 E. Hwy. 26, Zigzag, OR. 503-622-3191; Walk-up window open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (closed from 12:00 to 1:00). Fourth-graders can receive a free Christmas tree permit at Zigzag RD but must have their Every Kid Outdoors pass or voucher with them. Get an Every Kid Outdoors pass at: www.everykidoutdoors.gov
Winter weather in the forest can change rapidly. Most forest roads are not maintained for winter driving. Forest staff recommend bringing traction devices and a shovel, extra food, drinking water, winter clothing, blankets, a flashlight, and a first aid kit. Don’t forget a tool for cutting the tree and a rope or cord to secure it to vehicles. Tree cutting and travel may take longer than anticipated, so let a friend or family member know where you’re going, get an early start, and leave the woods well before dark.